The Independent Budget is drafted each year by four of the nation’s premier veterans service organizations: AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans, Paralyzed Veterans of America and the VFW. Created by veterans for veterans, the Independent Budget is a comprehensive budget and policy document intended to provide Congress with recommendations for the budget cycle and a long-range vision for the Department of Veterans Affairs.
This fall, the co-authors of the Independent Budget released the critical issues for the 2014 fiscal year. Serving as a reference, the Critical Issues Report allows VA, veterans, the public, the administration, and Congress to examine the five important concerns facing the veterans' community today.
· Protection of the VA health-care and benefits systems in a time of fiscal restraint
· Successfully completing reform of the benefits claims-processing system
· Transition, employment, and education for today’s veterans
· The continuing challenge for caring for war veterans
· Maintaining VA’s critical infrastructure
These five issues will serve as the foundation for the larger Independent Budget, which will be available in early 2013.
To read more about the Independent Budget’s critical issues, visit: www.independentbudget.org.