The official blog of American Veteran Magazine, the national quarterly publication of AMVETS.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Post-9/11 G.I. Bill Update: VA to accept applications May 1

This afternoon, Rick Maze from Military Times reported that the VA will begin accepting Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits applications as early as May 1, through the VA's G.I. Bill Web site.

Though critical details, such as dependent transferability, must still be worked out, AMVETS is encouraged that the VA is taking the necessary steps to ensure that student-veterans receive timely and accurate benefits when the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill rolls out in August.

According to Military Times and recent VA estimates, nearly half a million post-9/11-era veterans are expected to take advantage of their new G.I. Bill benefits starting this fall. Since the new G.I. Bill is based on a complicated corollary of time in service, geographic location, and individual school costs, the VA has identified potential issues in the benefits distribution process. By allowing veterans to start the process on May 1, the VA hopes to iron out any delivery issues so that veterans receive their correct G.I. Bill payments by August 1.

AMVETS has kept a close eye on the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill process, taking part in regular conference calls with the VA and testifying on potential issues. Check back regularly with American Veteran Online for more details as implementation of the new G.I. Bill draws closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment