This morning, Military Times reported that the two sailors captured last week by the Taliban in Afghanistan have been identified. One of the sailors was killed in the attack on the two men's armored sport utility vehicle in Logar province, Afghanistan on July 23.
The sailor who remains missing was identified as Petty Officer 3rd Class Jarod Newlove, 25, of Renton, Wash. The Pentagon said that efforts to find Newlove are ongoing.
The sailor who was killed in the attack was identified as Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin McNeley, 30, of Wheatridge, Colo. The Pentagon said McNeley's body was successfully recovered by coalition forces on July 25, two days after the sailor went missing.
Newlove is the third American service members listed as "Duty Status Whereabouts Unknown," or DUSTWUN, along with Army Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl, who was captured by the Taliban last year, and Army Sgt. Ahmed Altaie, who disappeared in Iraq in 2008.
AMVETS leaders mourned the death of McNeley, but applauded the efforts of coalition forces ensuring he was not left behind. AMVETS also condemned the capture of Newlove and continued to call on the departments of Defense and State to do everything in their power to ensure the safe return of all America's missing service members.
"We owe it to our brave military men and women to ensure that no one is left behind on the battlefield and AMVETS hopes that the Pentagon and the State Department will exhaust any and all resources to make sure our POWs and those missing-in-action are brought home," said AMVETS National Commander Duane J. Miskulin. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of Petty Officers McNeley and Newlove, and we hope that Newlove can be found and brought home safely."
The Pentagon said that the July 23 incident is still under investigation and American Veteran will continue to follow the story as it continues to develop.